Time spent away at college makes you appreciate the little things even more when you visit home. As fun and exciting as college is, there are some things I really miss. I love college, but every once in awhile I find myself feeling a little homesick and really missing these seven things.
1. My dog- Probably the thing I miss most about home is my favorite little companion, my pup. My dog is my best friend and the cutest little cuddle buddy. The first thing I ask when I call my mom is, “How’s Sadie doing?”
2. My mom- Although we argue most of the time, I truly miss my mom more than anyone. I miss our nightly talks at dinner and gossiping to her about the drama going on in my school and at her work. I miss being able to tell her about anything and everything going on in my life and seeing her face every day.
3. My own room- In college, you are almost never alone. Privacy becomes a true blessing when you have a roommate. Don’t get me wrong, having a roommate can be cool, but everyone still needs their private time. It’s the little things I miss, like being able to make a phone call without anyone overhearing, or being able to study in my bed. It’s easy to get distracted in an environment where you are constantly surrounded by people.
4. Home cooked meals- Dining hall food gets old really fast. Not only are you eating pretty unhealthy, but you’re also eating the same greasy pizza every day. College will make you appreciate your mother’s cooking so much more than you thought you ever would.
5. My car- Just as soon as you get your license, the privilege of driving is taken away from you. Being stranded on campus really sucks sometimes, and things like Uber can be kind of expensive. Word of advice: If you can, bring your car on campus.
6. Clean bathrooms- If only I could take a shower without wearing flip flops, and if only the the toilet seats didn’t have pee on them. It’s honestly just really hard to feel clean when your shower is infested with drain flies.
As awesome as college is, there are just some things I didn’t appreciate enough at home. Everyone gets a little homesick at times, but still, I wouldn’t trade my college experience for anything.