A few months ago I posted an article about a goal I had to find a summer internship. I wanted to announce that I have successfully completed this goal and found a summer internship! After a lot of stress, searching, and submissions, I finally found a great internship opportunity for myself.
Trying to find the perfect internship was extremely stressful. Originally, I landed an internship opportunity in New York, but decided to not follow through due to the travel and housing expenses. I found an internship closer to where I live that has the possibility to grow into a job opportunity and I am super excited! I am now interning for The Power of the Patient Project that you can learn more about here.
Finding an internship was difficult, and while I’m no pro at this, I would like to give some advice for any of you looking for internships.
- Stay open minded. Apply for jobs that may not even be in your field. There is a lot of experience to be learned.
- Apply for as many internships as possible. Even apply for internships you might not seem too interested in because you can use each interview as practice to nail that important interview you finally get.
- Watch out for scams! Use websites like glassdoor.com to search companies and read reviews. It’ll save you a lot of time and travel.
- Use sites like LinkedIn and Internships.com. They are very useful and make finding/applying for jobs so simple.
- Follow your gut. Interning is important, but if you find an internship that you just don’t think is right for you, don’t take it. Keep applying and you’ll eventually find something better suited for you.
- Don’t give up! Even when you think there’s no hope, there is.
I will keep you all updated with my intern experience, and good luck to all of you searching for internships!